EU Initiative Covenant of Mayors - East
Covenant of Mayors East (CoM East) is the EU-funded project aimed at introducing the EU climate and energy initiative to the Eastern Partnership countries. CoM East supports local authorities in implementing sustainable energy policies, improving the security of energy supply, and facilities their contribution to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
The signatories of CoM East, which joined the Covenant of Mayors before October 2016, undertook to:
- Reduce their CO2 emissions by at least 20% by 2020.
New CoM East Signatories commit to:
- Reducing СО2 emissions by 30% by 2030.
- Enhancing resilience by adapting to the impacts of climate change and undertaking a climate change risk and vulnerability assessment.
CoM East objectives:
The overall objective (impact) is to enable local authorities in EaP countries to develop and implement sustainable energy and climate actions, therefore significantly contributing to the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption, increasing generation of renewable energy, and adaptation to climate change. Or, if broken down into separate impacts, we may describe them as follows:
- CoM signatories are more capable to develop and implement sustainable energy and climate actions in 2025 compared to 2021;
- CoM signatories reduce their CO₂ emissions by the end of 2025 compared to 2021;
- CoM Signatories reduce their energy consumption by the end of 2025 compared to 2021;
- CoM Signatories increase generation of renewable energy by the end of 2025 compared to 2021;
- CoM Signatories increase the number of adaptation projects by the end of 2025 compared to 2021.
CoM East core activities:
- Capacity building to strengthen the expertise of Covenant National Coordinators (CNC), Covenant Territorial Coordinators (CTC), Covenant Supporters (CS) and Signatories in the field of energy and climate policies.
- Operating the Country Helpdesk to provide an administrative promotional and technical assistance to the CoM East Signatories and other stakeholders.
- Networking and Cooperating with financing institutions, international donors, relevant ministries, and cooperating with other initiatives and programs to develop a plan for achieving the CoM East objectives and give strategic direction to the CoM East initiative after 2020.
- Communicating & Promoting the CoM East results and achievements to the Signatories, CNC, CTC and CS, promoting and raising awareness of key stakeholders about the Covenant’s targets and benefits, achievements, success stories, best practices, etc.
- Coordinating & Monitoring development of the country strategis with national, international and EU initiatives, programs, as well as embedding the Covenant of Mayors initiative in the Eastern Partnership countries.
CoM East acts for:
- Local authorities interested in committing to the new Covenant and developing a Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan.
- Covenant signatory cities that have developed their Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs) and Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs).
- Covenant National Coordinators, Covenant Territorial Coordinators and Covenant Supporters directly involved in the capacity building and networking activities.
The CoM East Project was launched in September 2011. The first phase of the project (2011-2015) covered 11 countries of EaP and CA regions. The second phase of the project (2016-2020) covers 6 countries of EaP region.